Search This Blog

He Moved Through the Fair


There is a classic Celtic tune, “S/He Moved Through the Fair” which has been recorded by many artists who changed the gender as appropriate or desired. It’s a little strange, but a memorable semi-haunting tune. The lyrics of the version by Sinead O’Connor are listed below:

My own love said to me
"my mother won't mind.
And my daughters won't slight you
For your lack of kind".

He went away from me
And this he did say
"it will not be long love
Till our wedding day"

He went away from me
And he moved through the fair
And slowly i watched him
Move here and move there

He went his way homeward
With one star awake
As this swan in the evening
Moves over the lake

I dreamed last night
That my own love came in
He came in so sweetly
His feet made no din

He came close beside me
And this he did say
"it will not be long love
Till our wedding day"

It will not be long love
Long love
Long love
Love

As my computer’s playlist played this tonight while I was working in the kitchen, I mentally tuned back into the song at the “I dreamed last night” stanza, and for a bit, I forgot what song it was, and in my mind, the man being sung about was Christ, coming into our quiet moments whispering, “It won’t be long love, till our wedding day.”

What a moment. Scripture is emphatic that we are to have hope and encouragement from the promise of His return, and that it will not be long, even though it seems so, He is coming. He longs for us, even more than we do for Him. When we are tired, down, beaten, discouraged, this promise of return, rest and reward is meant to wrap around us in comfort. He brings us peace. He en-courages us, that we find strength and help in our times of need.

He came close beside me
And this he did say
"it will not be long love
Till our wedding day"

"Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God ; trust also in me.  In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.  You know the way to the place where I am going."  John 14:1-4

According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.  For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of god, and the dead in Christ will rise first.  After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.  And so we will be with the Lord forever.  Therefore encourage each other with these words.                                                         I Thessalonians 4:15-18

For in just a very little while, "He who is coming will come and will not delay. Hebrews 3:7

Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming.  See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains.  You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near.                         James 5:7-8

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends:  With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.  The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise,  as some understand slowness.  He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.                                                                          II Peter 3:8-9

I am coming soon.   Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.  Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God.  Never again will he leave it.            Revelation 3:11

Behold, I am coming soon!  My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.                                   Revelation 22:12

He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon."  Amen, Come, Lord Jesus.  The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people.  Amen.                                        Revelation 22:20-21

He came close beside me
And this he did say
"it will not be long love
Till our wedding day"


SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment